Santorini Legal Requirements for a civil wedding.

What documents do you need to get married in Santorini? Having a legal wedding can be a headache when it comes to bureaucracy and especially in a foreign country. Therefore, I have gathered in detail all the information you need to make things easy for you! Since every country has different documentation, I have grouped the information by country and all you have to do, is to click on your country below but….don’t forget to read the rest of the information given at the end of this page.

In case you wish to have a wedding with no documents, a Symbolic ceremony or vows renewal, please click here.

Please follow the below strict rules for a perfect and hassle-free wedding:

-You are solely responsible for reading and following the instructions and timeline as given below. Failure to follow all the below Greek government’s legal requirements, will result in not being able to have a legal wedding but you can always switch to a Symbolic wedding.

-Please remember… these requirements are from the Greek government and not by me, therefore they might change so you have to contact me 3 months before the wedding to ask me if there is any change.

-Your documents need Greek translations that are accepted only if they have been done by the Greek Embassy of your area OR via our agency. Not all nationalities require translation to their legal documents, therefore these fees are not included in my packages in case you decide to have this service via my agency. International Form documents require Greek translation as well.

-I need the wedding documents 1 month before the wedding in my hands but before you post them to me, you have to email me copies to make sure nothing is missing.

-The wedding documents can not be dated older than 3 months from the day of your wedding date.

-If you are a cruise ship traveler, you need to provide us a power of attorney that has to be prepared by the Greek Embassy of your area. This document, gives us the right to register the wedding with the registry of Santorini, on your behalf. Please email me to send you the exact sample on which you must use to prepare yours.

-You must follow the instructions listed on this website and my instructions only. Do not listen to any other sources no matter what these sources are, as I am here and they are out of the country and they are not updated daily by our local authorities. Each part of Greece has different legal requirements. The information inside my pages, are only for Santorini.

-All documents that will submit us, will be held for ever by our Peace of Justice so, please request for new certified copies to send us if you need the old ones you have.

-All Non European countries couples, except USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and China/Hong Kong, need a document from their Embassy in Athens, saying you are free to marry and that document needs to be authenticated by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens. This document needs to be done by the couple personally.


-You have to be in Santorini 2 (two) business days after your wedding to register your wedding. If that is not possible, you must obtain a document that will give my agency the authority to register your wedding on your behalf and you have to contact me to send you via email a sample of that document.

-If you have any questions or if you find any issues in the process of getting your wedding documents, please don’t hesitate to ask me at as with my experience and your cooperation, we will find a solution.